Thursday, June 9, 2011

The smell of progress!

Joel spent the day spreading his fish/seaweed liquid love all over his fields yesterday.  I would say all together he has a good 5 acres of just vegetable production and almost every square inch got a shot of juice.  Just to give you an idea of what this must of smelled like going on, I use an organic seafood mixture for my own home garden, but obviously we are talking a tiny quantity compared to what Joel has going (two gallon mixture compared to 55gal at a time).  My point is that with just the little amount I use at home puts out quite a stink you can image a commercial operation pumping it out by the 55 gallon drum would create!  Haha.Let me tell you, the combination of the heat ( I think it was 83 at one point yesterday) and liquid comprised quite a flavorful bouquet enjoyed by anyone within a square mile of the farm. 

BUT....Joel has now completed an important step which will result in higher vegetable yields and greener healthier plants.  Remember:  Healthy plants are less likely to be affected by bugs!

Above is the Dirty Orange Bastard outfitted with the homemade sprayer set up Joel built. 

Joel did tell me that at quite a few times yesterday the winds were contrary and at supper time his family would not let him go out to eat with them.  They brought him home a plate.  After hearing this I immediately though of a song I once heard from Mathew Heintz "The Northwoods Balladeer" it's called "Hog Farmer" and below is a link to the song on youtube.  I've heard him at a live show tell the story behind the tune before he sings it and it really fit Joel's situation pretty well.  Enjoy and Thanks for reading!
"Hog Farmer"