Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm getting there.

I have made some really big strides this year in my home garden.  Compared to my first garden, 5 years ago, the garden has gone from two small struggling plots to a year round provider.  I have noticed healthier,faster growing, better tasting vegetables as I progress.  I remember growing lettuce and not being able to eat it because it was too bitter.  I approached the farmer and he told me that my soil was the cause.  So I worked it, added nutrients, compost and mulch.  Now my lettuce is so good the farmer wants it!  

Each year (despite protest from my wife who likes green grass) the garden gets a little bigger.  This year I have dedicated all of the available garden space to the things we eat the most.  The knowledge I have picked up farming and reading has given me better results.  Better results equals more fun!  

Joel tells me that I need to walk before I can run, so I have decided to get really good at growing the things we like before I venture out and diversify our table.  

I take the home gardening pretty seriously.  I look at it as my own personal study.  My lab and learning space.  My homework area, maybe?  It is the space where what I have learned is being applied and a lot of what I have yet to learn is being taught.   

I look at it like this: if I can't grown good carrots in my raised beds at home how am I going to do it by the acre?  Here in our small urban garden is where my skills will be perfected!